East 42nd Street and Park Avenue North. Grand Central Depot, 1890. Grand Central Depot opened in 1871 for the New York and Harlem Railroad and the New Haven Railroad. Architect: John B. Snook in association with engineer Isaac C. Buckhout. Original glass and metal train shed designed by R.G. Hatfield. Snook and Buckhout's designed the depot in the American Second Empire Style using red pressed brick and cast iron trim. The train shed was razed in 1903 when construction for the new Grand Central Terminal began.