J.P. Morgan's study. One of a suite of three rooms in the original Morgan Library building, 33 East 36th Street. Built 1903-1906 ; Architect: Charles McKim of McKim, Meade & White. Morgan's study opens off the west side of the library's rotunda. The room's original furnishings remain intact and they are supplemented with additional works of art from the Morgan collection. The red silk wall coverings copy hangings from the Chigi Palace in Rome. Architect Charles McKim purchased the antique Italian wooden ceiling in 1905 but its exact origins remain unknown. The studio of Desiderio da Settignano is traditionally credited with creating the room's marble fireplace. Hanging above the fireplace is a portrait of Pierpont Morgan by painter Frank Holl.